Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Schedules
In the Western Cape all the various types of School Admin software have the capability of printing a Final Schedule with the previous three quarters marks on it as well as the Final Mark.

When will this facility be possible in SA-SAMS? I have requested this already via CvdW, a few years ago, I'm sure if more schools latch onto SA-SAMS in the WC, this will be necessary to fulfil the requirements of WCED.

Currently I have to export all the marks to Excel, and create a schedule with the four quarters marks that WCED expects us to have, this is a tedious process.

Thanks
Ashraf
Managing a single (fourth) quarter in Excel for the Free State Province is already a tedious process (due to problems experienced with the layout in SA-SAMS).  I honestly do not know how you manage having to do that for a whole year's marks.  This is one of the challenges in terms of the standardisation of SA-SAMS and one that will never be truly implementable if PEDs don't follow a specific route with respect to how reports are standardised.

My opinion is purely that, when considering the weightings of activities and CASS, it doesn't make sense to have all that information on a final schedule.  I do respect that Circuit Managers and PEDs may find the information useful in determining the outcome of a specific learner in the promotion schedule or for some other statistical reasons, but the fact remains that the data is available in SA-SAMS and Provincial EMIS Sections can assist their PEDs in gathering the information in a format suitable to their specific needs, once everything has been finalised.  I am sure there are valid reasons for structuring it the way it is required, but I feel strongly about it that PEDs should then initiate the necessary actions to ensure their personnel are equippped to deliver what is required wih as little as possible effort, after the bulk work (capturing marks) have been done.
Sarel
──────────────────────────────────
sed ipse spiritus postulat pro nobis, gemitibus inenarrabilibus

It is a schlep, as more schools are getting onboard in the WC, hopefully we will have this sorted out soonest.
Ashraf Edross
Administrator 

http://www.blhs.co.za
Find an example of the Excel template that I use to overcome the issues we have in the Western Cape, where they insist we should have all four quarters on the schedules that we take for the annual progression.

.zip   2016_Schedule_Combined.zip (Size: 458.09 KB / Downloads: 14)
Ashraf Edross
Administrator 

Well, now that is an awesome piece of work - well done, Ashraf. I'm sure other schools could benefit from this!
Sarel

We have completed our Progression and Promotion (December 2017) with the officials of our Metro Office. They have accepted our final schedule as per SA-SAMS, without me resorting to the tedious task of combining all the other quarterly schedules into one.

Really saves lots of time, and whoever adopts SA-SAMS in the Western Cape can just submit SA-SAMS schedules for progression. A small but vital step in getting Western Cape onboard the SA-SAMS bandwagon.
Ashraf Edross
Administrator 

Well that is definitely great news, Ashraf. Glad to hear it! From the Free State's side, I must say that our Promotion Schedules also went down without a single hitch.

I am aware that there was a hiccup with one of the Gauteng layouts, that didn't carry over the Exam Marks and Promotion Marks to the correct fields at a couple of schools, but we managed to get them sorted with another layout that was accepted by their Circuit Managers.

Any Provinces are more than welcome to share their experiences/frustrations here, so that we can ask the EMIS Directorate to look into it.
Sarel